September was another crazy work month for me, and curling up on my couch was typically my favorite part of every day. I traveled to the West Coast, worked events and was typically running around with a half-done to do list and my 3rd or 4th coffee of the day. And between all of that, I read seven books.
Now that the weather is (slowly but surely) leaning towards fall, I’ve been craving all of the cozy reads. And while I’m not typically into the genre, I’ve found myself wanting more thriller and mystery novels (I picked up my first Stephen King novel and hope to read it in October!).
I’ve been partnering with Underlined, a new young adult brand by Penguin Randomhouse, so you’ve probably seen me sharing their bookish goodies and talking about their amazing Instagram sweepstakes (check out the Get Underlined Instagram page for more). So I have a pile of awesome reads from them that I can’t wait to dive into and share with you all!
Anyone else find that they really get into a reading mood once the weather gets cooler?!
In September, I read my first audio book (and actually enjoyed it!), finally pulled a book off of my classics shelf and read one of my favorite books of 2017! So, here we go:
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
This was the first time I really decided to give audiobooks a real try, and honestly I didn’t hate it! I listened to about 80% of the book and read the physical copy the other 20%. I didn’t love the narrator’s voices, but they got it done. If you’re looking for a cute, contemporary romance with a diverse cast of characters, definitely pick this up! It’s the story of two teens who meet up at a computer programming camp. The arrive and find that their parent’s have actually been arranging their marriage and the meeting isn’t as coincidental as they think. I really enjoyed this light, cute read.
This is Just My Face by Gabourey Sidibe
I’ve always been a fan of Gabourey Sidibe and had a feeling I’d enjoy her book. Her memoir is, like her, extremely funny and tells the story of her life, even the less than idea parts, with tons of humor. I never knew all of the things she’d been through before she starred in her first film. I usually have an issue with celebrity memoirs where I feel they could’ve been 100 pages shorter, and I didn’t feel that here at all.
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Once I started this book, I could not put it down!! And when I finished, I added all of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s books to my TBR list. This story follows a young writer who’s been going through a tough time. One day, she’s randomly assigned to write the memoir of Evelyn Hugo, a renown actress best known for her 7 marriages. The story is enthralling and unique and the writing is beautiful. I definitely recommend this book.
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
I started buying more classics over the summer and I’ve finally gotten around to reaching for them. I started this book during my flight to California and finished when I landed. I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, but found Through the Looking Glass to drag a bit more. I still thought they were fun and light reads and are worth revisiting as an adult.
They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
The title sounds dark and gloomy, but this book is so much more about life than death. In this novel, a service called death cast calls you to let you know when you have 24 hours to live. We follow Mateo and Rufus on their End Day, as they explore what it really means to live and love truly. I think this book is definitely worth the hype and I really enjoyed the writing style and diverse characters. This was my first Adam Silvera novel and I’d definitely pick up another read by him!
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockheart
This is not the typical genre I reach for, but I’m glad I did. Genuine Fraud is a mystery novel told backwards following our main character Jule. When we start the book, we quickly learn that our narrator might be a bit unreliable and that people aren’t always who they appear to be. This book kept me interested and I definitely didn’t see the ending coming.
The Animal Under the Fur by E.J Mellow
Full disclosure, the author’s Instagram account is what made me so eager to pick up her book! And now, I definitely want to try out more of her titles! The Animal Under the Fur is the story of orphaned Nashville Brown, who is now a high performing assassin who never let’s anyone in. Until she meets someone who entirely turns her world upside down. This book is full of twists, great writing and characters you can’t help but love and root for. Plus, the cover is gorgeous!
What did you read in September? Share your favorite or least favorite reads of the month in the comments!