You may be wondering how you ended up here. No need to adjust your screens, if you’ve come looking for ember + march, you’ve made it to the right (new) place.
Welcome to Space on Third! This new site is more than just a new design, it’s a new brand completely and I couldn’t be happier to introduce you.
I’ve been thinking about this day for months and months now. I’m so grateful to my amazing designer Kory who once again has helped me bring my vision to life. When I knew I was really to rebrand and launch something new, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to reach out to Kory.
So now, let’s jump into the hows and whys; what’s new and what’s staying the same and other things you all can expect!
Why I rebranded:
It all began last year. 2016 brought a lot of challenges and changes for me, as I’ve shared on the blog a bit. I was really struggling to create while dealing some really tough emotions.
It was when I finally started to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel that I really found my focus and was able to start thinking about what I really wanted to do.
I made a list (maybe a bit of an outlandish one) and listed all of the new things I wanted to launch, create and collaborate on. The longer the list got, the more excited I became –and the more I realized I couldn’t imagine doing this all under the ember + march brand.
E + M felt limiting to me. As much as I loved the brand and everything I built on that blog, I knew I wasn’t as connected to it (and I don’t think you guys were, either) and that it was time to let go.
It took me a while to figure out what to call this space and what it should really look like. Until one morning, I was sitting in a meeting and someone brought up something called third space/third place theory. Ever heard of it?
It’s a community building theory that says that third spaces are the social spaces that separate us from our first place (home) and our second place (work). So an example of a third space would be a coffee shop, book store or park.
Third Spaces are characteristically:
- Welcoming and inviting environments
- Highly accessible (hey, internet?!)
- Involve regulars (hey, long time readers), but both new and old friends should be found there (hey new readers –hope you stay awhile!)
When I took this in I was basically jumping inside. This was it. The rebrand was supposed to be a digital third space. Where you all could come and have those conversations, separate yourself from work and home but still feel comfortable and leave feeling refreshed.
And thus, Space on Third (SPoT for short), was born.
What’s Staying the Same?
- Our weekly coffee dates. I’ve written the Sunday Morning Coffee column for nearly 4 years now. It’s lived through several rebrands and I don’t think it will ever go away. See you on Sunday for a fresh cup and some good links/reads!
- I’m still keeping and updating a page filled with resources to help you all with all areas of your life. I update this page about once a month so check back often!
- All of my social handles will stay the same. I like to keep it easy and simple, so I will continue to be @AmberSB_ on almost every platform. You can easily find my social via the icons on the left of the site or down in the footer.
- Old posts are here, too! 98% of the posts from e + m were imported to SPoT. You should still be able to find all of your favorite content.
But more importantly, what’s new to come?!
- The Space on Third YOUTUBE channel! I’ll be uploading videos that complement posts here and vlogs documenting day to day life, events and travels! The first video will go live in a few weeks but feel free to subscribe now!
- Now on tumblr! The Space on Third tumblr page will be a mix of my Pinterest, Instagram, Feedly and Twitter all combined into one inspiring space. If you’re on tumblr, follow the blog there, too!
- Ask me anything! Of course you can always DM, tweet or email me with questions you have, but I always want to easy way to see and answer you guys. Head here to submit a question any time you want.
- SPoT On – Weekly emails. Subscribe to this email list for a weekly note with tips, good stories, new book news, resources and more. Almost like Sunday Morning Coffee, but times 10 and in your inbox!
I hope you all love the new brand as much as I do and are excited for things to come! I cannot wait to create, share and connect with you all in this space.
Some redirects and behind the scenes tech issues are still being worked out, so bear with me this week.